Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Asian Bake

Here's a little something I threw together to clean out my fridge. High in fiber, protein and plenty of other essential nutrients...and tasty to boot!

Ingredients

1/2 head green cabbage
2 heads fresh broccoli, cut into pieces
2 green peppers, cut into squares or larger chunks
1 vidalia onion, cut into chunks
1 sm. pkg white mushrooms, cut into chunks
2 cups cooked quinoa
8 oz. tempeh (I used the Lightlife Organic Flax variety)
Newman's Own Low-Fat Sesame Ginger salad dressing
2 cups vegetable broth
2 tbsp liquid aminos
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp wasabi powder (optional)
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp sesame seeds
spray olive oil

Boil cabbage in large pot. Cook quinoa according to directions.

In large wok-type pan, steam broccoli, green peppers, onions and mushrooms in about a cup of water...I cover the wok with a round cookie sheet, because I am unconventional like that! Steam until the onions become translucent. Drain excess water. Add the following to the veggies: vegetable broth, liquid aminos, wasabi powder, and minced garlic. Cook until coated, but do not overcook since the entire dish will be going in the oven. Set aside.

Slice tempeh thinly, similar to filleting a fish - sorry, I could not liken it to anything else! You should end up with 6-8 thin slices depending on how you do it. In medium fry pan, add enough Sesame Ginger salad dressing to coat the tempeh slices. I would estimate 3-4 tablespoons...I did not measure; I just eye-balled it. Keep turning the tempeh until all liquid is absorbed and temped appears slightly burnt and caramelized.

Spray large glass casserole dish with olive oil. Line the bottom of the casserole dish with large pieces of cabbage. Spread the cooked quinoa evenly over the cabbage. Add 2-3 more tablespoons of the Sesame Ginger salad dressing to ensure juiciness. Lay slices of tempeh over the quinoa. Top with vegetable mixture. Drizzle on maple syrup. Throw on the sesame seeds. Bake uncovered in oven at 350 for 20 minutes. Then switch to high broil for about 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

I know this sounds like a lot of prep work, but it is actually quite simple. The lengthiest part is waiting for the cabbage to cook! Again, some of my measurements might be off since I did not document the recipe while I was constructing it, so you may want to adjust it to your liking!

No comments:

Post a Comment